Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Opening Nightmare

The Mets lost to the Phillies yesterday, blowing a late lead on a costly error in the seventh inning before letting the game slip further away in the eighth and limping to a 5-2 loss - their third straight.


Wait, did I just recycle that sentence from last September?


If the Mets blow this season in April, at least they can just waste the whole damn thing instead of building up painfully false expectations. What's worse? Maybe we won't have to find out.


With the Mets in need of a win, Mike Pelfrey will take the hill tonight against Kyle Kendrick. Thi is a good opportunity for Pelfrey to show whether he is indeed major league material, or whether he's a tall goofy chump who the Mets should have traded to the Twins instead of Phil Humber. In his brief career, he's thus far showed an inclination toward the latter (tall goofy chump). If he has any stones at all he'll at least turn in a nice effort tonight and not pitch like a loser.

All eyes will be on tongue-boy in his '08 debut

I'm off to go take my mind off of baseball and see some live brass bands tear it up in Lafayette Square. I'll have more on the Mets home opening series, and the proper status of Willie Randolph's job, tomorrow night when I have a bit more time - the tone of that post should reflect the news I come home to tonight.

Until then...

(Image courtesy mets.com)

No comments:


Questions? Comments? Suggestions for the blog? Just wanna talk? Email me at mattbuccelli@gmail.com and go to town. I'm all ears