Friday, September 28, 2007

Loud And Proud

Good thing last night wasn't actually game 7. If it was, we'd have blown it again. Though we're clearly very close to doing that anyway.

Still, this time we can take a three-game mulligan. If we screw that up, that's that. If we run the table, there would remain a chance for our three-game mulligan to become a four-game mulligan, depending on what the Phillies do. Depending on what the Padres, Rockies, and D-Backs do, there's a chance it could become a week-long NL wild card play-in mulligan, which would be insane.

I wore my orange Mets shirt proudly today on my trip back up to New York for the weekend from DC. Going through Grand Central, I got a few comments.

GUY AT TABLE IN FOOD COURT AREA: Ahhh, there's a Mets fan. You're brave!

His words seemed more condescending, sarcastic, and Yankee fan-ish than anything else, but I stuck with a modest response.

ME: I still believe, man...I still believe.

***

MTA WORKER ON TRAIN PLATFORM: Let's go Mets! Let's go Mets!

ME: In sickness and in health...

The first guy wasn't a real fan - just responding to my jersey - but another worker chimed in: "It's cool I'm a Mets fan too."

I gave him a little ra-ra double fist pump with my back turned as I walked away.

***

On days like this it's important for us Mets fans to stick together, and be willing to love and support one another. In addition to responding to people, I was sure to show my approval to anyone else repping the orange and blue today. My day was brightened up when I said "nice hat" to a shy little boy with a blue and orange Mets hat on, and, after pausing long enough to be appropriately scared of a stranger in a large, intimidating, public place, the kid said "thank you" in a soft voice. It was...like...talking to a young me!

Not quite sure where his parents were; hope that turned out alright...

***

There's absolutely nothing else I can say that hasn't already been said, by me or by one of the thousands of other worried, angry, depressed Mets bloggers out there. All I know is that times like these define true fans and bandwagoners.

I wore my jersey with head held high today because I'm proud to be one of the true fans. Whatever happens this weekend,

LET'S GO METS!

Always.

(Photo courtesy mbselitegolf.com)

No comments:


Questions? Comments? Suggestions for the blog? Just wanna talk? Email me at mattbuccelli@gmail.com and go to town. I'm all ears