Sunday, October 21, 2007

Blue and Orange Envy

Not gonna lie, a part of me has always been jealous of the Red Sox, even before they started winning. The history, ballpark, united devotion to one team of not just a city, but an entire geographical region...it's always been somewhat of a cause for envy.

Then I watched them win a World Series while still waiting on the Mets. Then I watched them come back from 3-1 to win another AL pennant just three short weeks after the Amazins' completed the most amazin' 17-game collapse in baseball history.


I root for the Red Sox when the Mets are out of it. I was born in Massachusetts, I loved the Red Sox in the '04 postseason as if they were my own. I'm happy for the Sox right now and I'll be going for them in the World Series, even against Kaz Matsui's hard-not-to-like Rockies, and several friends of mine who call Colorado home and have never known a winning baseball team until now. But at the same time I know that they are not my own. I'd of course be ten times happier if it were the Mets who were headed to the World Series. Any joy I feel for the Boston Red Sox in the god-fatherly sense; perhaps more accurately it's like the feeling you get when your best friend starts dating a beautiful girl.

I love my Metsies and I can't wait for '08. And as happy as I am for my #2 right now, I'm still jealous.

Congratulations Red Sox. More to come on Joe Torre and fighting with your family.

(Photo courtesy espn.com)

No comments:


Questions? Comments? Suggestions for the blog? Just wanna talk? Email me at mattbuccelli@gmail.com and go to town. I'm all ears